TEETH CLEANING OR SCALING

The Global Burden of Disease Study 2017 estimated that oral diseases affect close to 3.5 billion people worldwide, with caries of permanent teeth being the most common condition. Globally, it is estimated that 2.3 billion people suffer from caries of permanent teeth and more than 530 million children suffer from caries of primary teeth.(1)

       For most of us daily teeth cleaning and maintaining oral hygiene involves Brushing teeth with toothpaste and occasional use of mouth wash with an antiseptic agent. Most of us do not know the right method of brushing or oral hygein maintenance process and its importance.

Why you need to Clean Your Teeth :

Actually teeth cleaning is the process of removing as much plaque  buildup as possible from the enamel of a tooth surface. The bacteria preset in Plaque can cause tooth decay and gum diseases if not removed throughly with brushing and flossing.

What is Plaque?  Plaque is a soft, thin, transparent, sticky film that builds up on your teeth after eating some food. It contains millions of bacteria. Plaque contains saliva, food, fluids and millions of bacteria. If this plaque is not removed it start to calcify over the tooth surface and form a harder structure called Calculus or Tartar. The Calculus is nothing but the calcified form of plaque which is more firm and hard to remove through brushing and flossing only. Calculus has a tendency to get more and more calcified as new layer of plaque is formed over the tooth and previously formed calculus. This resultes in increased bacterial colonisation over tooth which is hard to remove only through brushing.

Why do i need to clean Plaque or Calculus? 

Normally each and every mouth contains millions or trillions of bacteria. But they do not harm your teeth untill they find some habitate on your teeth. Bacteria present in mouth usually wiped out through eating, swallowing or spitting. But the baceria who manages to form plaque or calulus over tooth surface remains in mouth for a long period. These bacteria grow in quantity and feed on food left over during eating stucked in between teeth. This left over food particles in between teeth give them a favourable environment to grow. If they just feed and remain in mouth is not harmful for us. But When they eat and release acids as a by product things turns against us. Baceria do not harm tooth But this acid doThis acid produced by the bacteria causes tooth to decay and gums to recede from its original position. When this acid produced by the bacteria reaches up to bone, Bone also start to recede and start loosen to grip your tooth which result in mobility of tooth and eventually tooth loss. 

 To keep our tooth healthy we need to get rid of these acid forming bacteria away from our mouth. To do so you need a good oral hygein practice and proper tooth brushing and flossing.

How to keep my teeth healthy:

Keeping your teeth healthy is every dentist Job. Proper teeth cleaning and having good oral hygeine is not a difficult task but requires some practice. Follow these steps to keep your teeth clean :

  1. Brush twice a day. One in the moring After Breakfast and one after dinner at night before bed time. How To Brush
  2. Use a soft bristle brush and Fluoride containing tooth paste.
  3. Brushing only covers 70% of your tooth surface. for remaining 30% of tooth you need to floss them.
  4. Flossing after each meal is advisable if possible.
  5. Only flossing removes the plaque formed in between two teeth not brushing. So flossing is must. 
  6. Use of medicated mouthwash like -Chlorhexidine is advisable as suggested by your dentist only. Do not self medicate with mouthwash because it also have some side effectes.
  7. Avoid sticky foods specially at night.
  8. Eat more raw vegitable foods which also perform self cleaning of teeth and let the excercise tooth musles( perodontium).
  9. Avoid Energy drinks and carbonated drinks.
  10. Last and most Important Visit your dentist every 6 month so that he can visualise any early sign of any problem that could harm your teeth and suggest you or guide your oral hygeine practice properly.

Benefits of Good Oral Hygeine:

Each and everthing you take goes through your mouth into your body. Mouth is the gateway of your body. Better oral hygeine keeps you safe from many disease and help you to be healthy. Better you chew , Better your health. Because our food starts to digest from our mouth.

Proper teeth cleaning and dental hygiene have a host of benefits if done regularly, and can prevent gum disease, tooth decay, swollen and bleeding gums, receding gum line, and bad breath. 

References:

(1). Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Lancet 2018; 392: 1789–8583